Fernando de Castro House Museum
In this house museum, lived Fernando de Castro (1889-1946) who dedicated a big part of his life to the collection of decorative pieces, always thinking that one day his house would be a museum. Gathered, apparently without museology criteria, paintings from the sixteenth to the twentieth century - in this set, highlight to the naturalistic painting of the nineteenth till twentieth centuries - religious sculptures from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century, ceramic, glass, art metal and a large amount of woodwork from churches and convents, with which he overlaid almost the entire interior of the house. Fernando de Castro did not just acquire art pieces; he also created a scenario for them, always with the carving presence. His brother donated the house and all the estate to the state. The set is managed by the National Museum Soares dos Reis since its foundation in 1952.