Church of Almas de São José das Taipas
The Church of Almas de São José das Taipas was designed by Carlos Cruz Amarante and built between 1795 and 1878 in the Classical style. The chapel and its interior are older than the church and date from 1666. The church has a painting from 1845 showing the disaster of the Barcas Bridge, as well as the city's oldest Nativity Scene. It dates back to the eighteenth century and is from the School of Machado de Castro. A valuable painting of the German School representing Nossa Senhora da Divina Providência is also worthy of interest. The Brotherhood of Almas de São José das Taipas prayed for the souls of those who perished during the Barcas Bridge disaster of March 29, 1809. The Museum and the Catacombs, which occupy the entire chancel should not be missed. Information is available in Portuguese, Spanish and English.