Church of Santa Casa da Misericórdia of Porto
The Misericórdia Church is an interesting Renaissance private church that began construction around 1550. The main chapel features a neoclassical altarpiece inspired by the Jeronimos Monastery altarpiece in Lisbon, but on a smaller scale. In 1740, when the church was threatening to collapse, Nicolau Nasoni was chosen to design a new façade. The work of this Italian architect is characterized by its elaborate ornamentation. Despite having Baroque elements, the interior of the church maintains the austerity of the mannerist style particularly in the triumphal arch and around the cornice.