Church of Ordem Terceira de Nossa Senhora do Carmo
This building’s full name is the Church of the Ordem Terceira de Nossa Senhora do Carmo. It was built in the second half of the eighteenth century. It is one of the most notable Rococo buildings of Porto, both for its architecture and its gilt wood carvings displayed inside. The façade on the side that leads to the hospital of the same religious order is of particular interest. It features windows with balustrades and was completely covered with tiles between 1907 and 1912. The tile panels were designed by Silvestre Silvestri and executed by Carlos Branco in the Senhor do Além and Torrinha factories in Vila Nova de Gaia. The composition includes scenes of the foundation of the Carmelite Order. The church and the contiguous Church of the Carmelitas are classified as National Monuments. The churches are near the Rectory of the University of Porto, in the heart of the city's Movida area known for its nightlife.