Monument Church of São Francisco de Assis
The Museum of the Venerable Third Order of São Francisco includes the Monument Church of São Francisco, the Casa do Despacho (Dispach House) - by Nicolau Nasoni - and its catacombs. Construction for the church began in the fourteenth century, replacing a smaller church dating from 1245. It is the main Gothic style church in the city and was classified as a National Monument in 1910. Although its construction ended in 1425, the Church of São Francisco was enriched over the years. The Baroque interior from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries is one of the richest and most and outstanding examples of gilt wood work in Portugal.