Rectory of the University of Porto
The Rectory of the University of Porto is in a building that was designed by Carlos Amarante and built starting in 1807. It was funded by the Literary Tax which is a tax on wine. The rectangular Neoclassical building has similarities with the Hospital of Santo António, which is right next door. Since 1911, and until recently, it was the home of the Faculty of Sciences. In April 1974, a big fire destroyed much of the building. Besides the Rectory, the building currently hosts the Museum of Natural History and the store of the University of Porto. The building is part of the Urban Wine Route. The square in front of the rectory is also known as “Praça dos Leões” (Lions Square) because of the Fountain of the Lions, a monumental granite fountain 8 meters in diameter and 6 meters high. It was part of the Porto water network during the 1880s.