The City Hall building was designed by the architect Correia da Silva and its construction began in 1920. Because of numerous interruptions and changes to the original project made by the architect Carlos Ramos, construction only resumed in 1947 and the building was only occupied by the municipality in 1957. The Porto City Hall building has six floors, a basement and two interior courtyards. Its tower is 70 meters high, and people can climb its 180 steps to see the view and the carillon clock. Inside the monumental granite building, there are nobly furnished rooms and several elements in marble. In the lobby, it is worth appreciating the romantic style paintings that decorate the ceiling and the two marble statues representing female figures by Henrique Moreira, called “Art” and “Industry”.