The Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, or simply Porto Airport, opened in 1945 with the name Pedras Rubras Airport and was renamed in 1990, at the inauguration ceremony of the new terminal, with the name of the illustrious Portuguese politician who was born in Porto in 1934 and became Prime Minister of Portugal in 1980. It is 11 km from the city centre and in 2005 won the current Passenger Terminal, following significant expansion works. Today, hosting a capacity of up to 12 million passengers, is reference Airport of the Northwest Peninsula. With 15 airlines - including some low-cost airlines - Porto Airport provides connections to 65 international destinations and the Invicta. In recent years, it has been acknowledged by many organisations as one of the best European airports of its size.