Crystal Palace Garden
Occupying an area of 8 hectares in the city center, the romantic Gardens of the Crystal Palace were designed in the nineteenth century by the German landscape architect Émile David. The original palace was made of granite, iron and glass, but the current Rosa Mota Pavilion replaced it in 1956. Parts of the original design have been preserved such as the Émile David Garden, by the main entrance, the Lime Trees Avenue, the groves and the green areas overlooking the Douro River. The panoramic views of the river and the city, from various viewpoints, are one of the more interesting features of these gardens, but there are more, from the botanical heritage to its recreational and cultural offerings such as the Center of Environmental Education.